It's a couple of weeks away, yes, but it's never too early to plan ahead for the 4th and your vacation to the Resort! Seven layer dip is a huge hit over the Holidays! This is a lighter version using nonfat refried beans and hummus in place of full fat refried beans and sour cream. The cheese is also reduced fat. You can do what you want, but check this one out courtesy of Mariah's Pleasing Plates:
LIGHTENED UP 7-LAYER DIP
1 can (14 oz.) nonfat refried beans
1 cup hummus (Roasted Red Pepper) or sour cream
½ packet (1.25 oz) taco seasoning (I used low sodium)
1 jar (16 oz.) chunky red salsa
1½ cups pico de gallo
1½ cups guacamole
1 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Optional Flag Topping:
Black beans, drained and rinsed
cherry tomatoes, cut in half
In an 8 x 8 pan, spread the refried beans in an even layer. In a bowl, combine the hummus and half the package of taco seasoning. Mix well. Spread the hummus evenly on top of the beans. Top evenly with remaining layers starting with the chunky salsa and ending with the guacamole. Top with cheese and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Serve with your favorite chips!
Optional Flag Topping: Place a handful of black beans in the corner of the dip on top of the guacamole. Shape them into a square. Place the cherry tomato halves in a few straight lines alternating with lines of cheese in between.
Here's another great idea, and one that will keep all week in the cabin on your vacation provided it's not gone the first couple of days!
July 4th Puppy Chow Mix
(Courtesy of Baby Savers)
1 cup milk chocolate chips 4 cups Rice Chex cereal 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
Red, white and blue Peanut M&M's 1 cup Whoppers
1. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Put your 4 cups of cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set both aside.
2. Put the milk chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is fully melted.
3. Use a large spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the cereal. Gently mix as you drizzle, making sure to coat the cereal evenly.
4. Place the powdered sugar in a 1 gallon zip-top bag.
5. Carefully scoop the chocolate-coated cereal into the bag with the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake it to cover the cereal with the powdered sugar.
6. Let sit for 1-2 minutes, then spread it out onto the prepared baking sheet. let dry for 1 hour.
7. Put your cereal back in the large bowl and gently mix in the Whoppers and M&Ms.